Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Faithful Servant


What does it mean to be a faithful servant?

My thoughts have been on the life of President Hinckley this morning. I have been getting a lot of time between calls and stumbled upon all the many tributes that have been made for him, published online. I am amazed at his dedication, his zeal for life, and his relationship with his "babushka" as he called his wife at the member meeting in Moscow.

The best tribute that I have read is by the publisher and editor in chief of Meridian magazine, here is the link:
http://www.ldsmag.com/churchupdate/080129bewithyou.html
It moved me to tears many times, and a few times I had to take a second to compose myself and take a phone call through tears. It has been a good morning.

I love the photo essay of his life here. It was also very touching.
I love the story of him bopping the security guard with his cane, of him waving at the crowds from the highest room in the Nauvoo temple, of him asking the missionary, "Are you as good a missionary as your parents think you are?".

I will never forget the feelings that I felt when he addressed the women of the church in the fall of 2003. Thanks to this link I can read the words again, but I will never, ever, forget how I felt. I felt like he knew me. He understood what I was going through. I remember commenting to my friend afterwards that it sounded like that talk was written especially for me. And she said the same. And that was the beauty of it.

Lastly, if you live far away and won't be able to visit the gravesite of our dear prophet, then
this article really did a good job of sharing it in a respectful way.



There are a lot of people pulling together to pay tributes to this great man. Today for the funeral, there will be people lining the streets waving canes, just as he used to do. There are people dedicating their run to his life today. There are people reading the book of mormon in 97 days, the length of his life in years. There were teenagers all over the country dressed in sunday best to school to show respect.
I too want to pay tribute to such a great example and life that he led.


http://www.meridianmagazine.com/


I am going to simply and quietly try a little harder, to be a little bit better.

1 had something to say!:

I have a good life said...

That was very touching. I have been moved to tears many times by many tributes. I didn't know about the cane waving. That is cool. But, I think you said it best at the end....what he would want from us is to be a little better.