Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Saturday

I'm not sure what to call this day, I think last year I called it Spring Day, but the Saturday before Easter is when we do all the Easter Bunny/secular holiday stuff. This is so that we can leave the religious, sacred (more important) part of the holiday for Easter Sunday.

So yesterday morning the kids woke up and surprisingly enough, they didn't ask anything about the bunny, treats, nothing. I guess I downplayed the importance of this enough. So they were totally taken off guard to find thier baskets filled and on the doorstep! Inside were things that were no big deal like those sours candies that Shayden loves, and a little dress up skirt that I bought Jasmine in Boston like a year ago. But they loved it, of course.
Then we went to this park that was having an Easter egg hunt but we didn't make it in time because it was further than we thought, but the kids still got to get their faces painted. Shayden was spiderman and Jasmine was Mariposa butterfly. They were so excited about this that they forgot all about the candy. Luckily we still had one more egg hunt on the agenda, the Barnes and Noble has a cute little storytime and hunt for the kids. So they did get to do it after all.
Then we went to eat at Carl's Jr and the kids played in the playland and it was nice to have Jonas with us for a change. It is usually me running around with the kids.


Then we went home to get ready for the baptism which I will write about later, and later, later, we tried to make the Easter Story cookies. Last year I did this really big Easter week thing where we had a little devotional every night about what was happening in Christ's life the last week of it. I really wanted to make this a yearly tradition but this year with St. Patricks Day and Easter so close together, it all just snuck up on me and I didn't get around to it.


So last night, this was my attempt at still incorporating the true meaning of Easter. The only problem is that they didn't work! Last year they worked perfectly and this year they flopped! Well I still put them in the oven and went through the motions so the kids could hear the story. We will have to try again another time. Or maybe not. There is always next year right?

Here is a picture of last years cookies:

1 had something to say!:

Tara said...

We also celebrate the easter bunny and easter baskets on Saturday. I think it will help the kids turn their focus to what is really important.