Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Papi's Birthday


We celebrated my dad (Papi)'s 61st Birthday yesterday. Well it was really on the 20th so last Tuesday I went over to their house and surprised him and made him a dessert that he likes. I kind of burned it on the bottom but it's the thought that counts right? ;) It was still pretty tasty.
So I just wanted to say what I love about my dad. He is a really great guy. Let's see if I can get through this without crying. He has sacrificed so much for our family. I love hearing stories of his childhood, I really really really need to get some of those on tape. He was raised so impoverished, really had so little. But nevertheless, he worked hard and it paid off, he has lived the "American Dream" in some ways. I wonder if I would have the courage to uproot my family and move to a foreign country when things are relatively "okay" where they were and by some standards even "great" I mean they had the necessities and even some comforts of life in Guatemala. Wow, that would take so much faith and determination. My dad always has great advice, which I am much more receptive to now that I am grown. He has amazing intuition! He always knows what I am feeling, even when I am trying to hide my emotions. I admire that so much and hope that I can have that gift with my kids. He is so spiritually minded and I admire his ability to put the Lord first. He has always been such a great provider and dad and I love him so much! One more random talent that he has...he is a great packer and organizer! He can pack a mean trunk on a long trip! Happy Birthday Papi! I am so glad my kids are growing up so close to their grandparents and love my dad as much as I love him. Oh and the crying thing, simply not possible...

1 had something to say!:

I have a good life said...

I love Papi, too! What a wonderful post about a wonderful man.