Sunday, September 16, 2007

Camping Engagement

We were invited a few weeks ago to go camping with my very good friend Jen and her family last weekend. It was a service project to chop wood at none other then the campground that we used to go to for girls camp all those many years ago.

I must admit I am not much of a camper but I used to LOVE girls camp so much. There is nothing like it, I think. So I jumped at the chance to spend some time with my childhood friend and her family there.




But when I found out by her boyfriend that he was going to ask her to marry him there, wow, my excitement could hardly be contained! I couldn't wait, and it was a surprise, so of course we all had to keep it top secret. He wanted some of the guys to sing "Unforgettable" by Nat King Cole which is one of her favorite singers of all time. Such a romantic song. It ended up being her brother, SIL, and Jonas, and her other brother played the guitar. They slow danced around the fire and when it was done he got on one knee and proposed! It was terribly romantic!
I love that Brandon, (her fiance) would let us be a part of this, I mean it was pretty much her family, a couple members from my home ward, and US that got to be there, and I love that Jonas got to actually sing to them and I triple LOVE that Brandon showed us the ring before he did it! (it is beautiful, of course) We felt so special to be included.
So aside from that very memorable event, we ate smores around the campfire and sang old camp songs, Jonas and I took some time to stare at the beautiful stars in the heavens and absorb the beauty of it all, and then the next day--service.
Service has been on our minds anyway because it is our theme for the month in Primary and we had a FHE lesson on it this week, so it was perfect. I should mention that Jonas did the actual chopping wood as I had to stay back with the kids, but it was still a good chance to reinforce the lesson with the kids.


After lunch we rode in the back of one of the members trucks and he took us all around the church property to see some of our old stomping grounds. It was very nostalgic.





So my good pal and old roomate Jen is engaged and I couldn't be more thrilled! She is a beautiful person inside and out and she deserves to be happy.
I am so glad she found such a great guy and that Jonas and I could both get along with him so well. It was definately an "unforgettable" weekend!

1 had something to say!:

I have a good life said...

AWESOME! (That pretty much sums it up!) How cool. Oh, btw...someone in our ward knows you...Her name was Holly Davis (I think that was her maiden name, but she has 2-3 older sisters that know you from your home ward.) Small world.