Monday, August 27, 2007

~ER fiasco~

8/17/07--I was supposed to go see Hairspray for our "girls day out" and then spend the rest of the evening painting Jasmine's room. Jonas was going camping with the scouts. INSTEAD we spent the night here---the ER of Primary Children's Hospital. Oh but the story of how we got here is an interesting one.

1:30pm Shayden tripped in the living room that day saying goodbye to Jonas who came home for lunch. His mouth landed right on the tile that lines the window sil.

2:30pm After tears, much blood and havoc, he falls asleep.

3:30pm Jonas comes home and confirms that we need to take him in to the Dr.

4:15pm Having been told that it is the best, we head out on our way to Primary Children's Hospital, East of downtown.

4:30pm On the way I had the brilliant yet not so brilliant idea to call the InstaCare right by my house just to ask if they do stitches, maybe I can avoid the long drive both ways, I tell myself. They say they can and there is not a long wait right now. So I turn around and head back toward my house.

5:00pm It takes me 40 painstaking minutes to travel the approximate 10 miles back in rush hour traffic!!! Jonas meets us there.

5:30pm Heading back to Primary Childrens because the nurse at the InstaCare took one look at him and told us "sorry but we don't do stitches in the mouth here". AHHHHHH!!!

6pm Drop Jasmine off at the Co-Op babysitting group night so she doesn't have to deal with all this. Tell the scouts, sorry, trip is cancelled. :(

Arrive at Primary Children's ER--blown away at how kind they are there.

7pm Waiting in the waiting room.

8:30pm After 3 different opinions, we are told that although he did tear the frenulum (spelling?) which is the little piece of skin that connects the top of the gum to the lip, the mouth will heal on it's own and they rarely do stitches to fix it anyhow, in this case they didn't need to.

9:30pm Waiting for the perscription to the mouth rinse that is needed.

10:30 Late dinner and home at last!

Wow, that was not what we anticipated, but we were so glad that he was okay.
He was really a trooper, especially since he missed the camping trip too.
I know this is a long post but I do have to add one thing. One of the wonderful doctors made a comment that struck me. She was listening to Shay's heart and she said
"wow, it is so good to hear a healthy heart"
As I was leaving that hospital that night, I couldn't help but think about all of those poor families that spend night after night in the uncomfortable rooms of those hospitals. Sitting by their child's bed, wishing they could somehow switch places. I was really touched and felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude that my stay was brief and I had two beautiful, healthy children to care for. What a blessing every day is.

2 had something to say!:

I have a good life said...

Wow! Crazy, crazy day. I am glad that he is okay. I am also grateful that we are not there night after night praying for help for our kids, as well. How lucky we are! :)

dieMutti said...

I talked to R tonight (I have a good life) and she told me to check out your blog. We had a VERY similar experience today with my son S! He had to have stitches in his forehead. After I blogged about it, I read your post and realized we had similar emotions. Thanks for sharing! We are blessed!
(R's sis)