Saturday, January 3, 2009

My son the reading machine.


So I have to post about this because it is so dear to my heart.


As a kid I had this love affair with reading that I can't quite describe. It was my escape, and I loved reading anything I could get my hands on. I wanted to be spunky like Ramona and whimsical like Anne of Green Gables.

I have always known that I wanted to raise good readers. I didn't really know how to go about that though, and I think I went a bit overboard with Shayden. I started WAY early, paranoid that he would get to kindergarten and not know how to read yet! Okay, now I know that this was nutty-first-time-mom-thinking.


So he got to Kindergarten and he could read better than anyone in his class but then switched to a much harder school where he was more middle of the road. Fine. I mean he didn't really love it, and that was my goal. It wasn't second nature so it was still really hard work. He would read for 10-15 min and then let out a sigh of exhaustion because it tired him out. Then he started saying that he loved to read, which was a good sign, but I still saw no major interest change.


Then something happened. I have no idea what, but around the middle of the last summer, his interest level shot up like a rocket. I have never seen anything like it, suddenly he was reading every waking moment and I mean every waking moment. All he wanted to do is read and read and read some more! And this is how it has been. He was tearing though the magic treehouse and a-z mystery books finishing one per day and then he wanted to read Harry Potter. He finished the first one last fall. He also has started the Boxcar children books, which I loved as a kid. His motto is "I read anything that comes in my way!".

He asks to read for his free time, he has a hard time putting books down at bedtime, I can't keep up with it. Going to the library has turned into this awesome treat like never before. Now he is asking how old he needs to be to walk to the library by himself. He said he would stay there all day. I hope he doesn't run out of steam and let it go all together after a while.


It's cool because Jasmine is modeling his behavior and she is probably learning to read in a more healthy pattern because instead of my cramming her with the letters, she is developing a love for this wonderful habit by watching him. I have also found myself wanting to read more because of his example.

I love that he loves this!

6 had something to say!:

Kailee said...

YES!!! Go Shayden! I am so glad he loves to read (just like me!) because books are great and awesome and AMAZING!!! And that picture of him and Jasmine was so so cute and adorable! Keep him reading, especially Harry Potter, which, by the way, I am reading right now for the eighth time! I know, I'm obsessed. :)

The 7B's said...

That's awesome. Your kids are so cute!

Chandelle said...

The picture of them together is so darling. And just so you know the books went in the mail on Saturday.

Knighton's said...

Zildy you and your family are amazing. Nick and Zack love reading what there freinds are doing, mabey his love for reading will rub off on them

Angie said...

That is so great. It's kind of funny because one of my best friends growing up loved to read so much that she never wanted to play with friends, so her mom would have to bribe her to play with us. She's a super smart attorney now and I know her love of reading has taken her far.

Tara said...

So, WHAT did you do to get him to read so well? Please send me an email when you have a free moment and let me know. :-) I am also paranoid that my kids won't know how to read, but am unsure where to start. Even though I was a teacher it is like my brain has gone dead.