Saturday, December 15, 2007

A post that needs no pictures

I wasn't going to post about this but I think that the history of this year wouldn't be complete without it.

Our primary presented our big sacrament meeting program on Nov 16th. It was amazing.

The spirit was SO incredibly strong and just as everyone said, despite the crazy practices, it went flawlessly. We decided this year to interview all the children and create a part for each child based on their answers. So we asked them questions such as What is Faith? and tell me about a time that you have felt the spirit? I remember casually reading the answers one day and being completely blown away. I was bawling. The answers were amazing and their understanding of such concepts was so innocent yet profound. It was great to have so much material to pull from, in some cases it was hard to pick just one answer though.

On the day of the program we got the music people corsages to wear which I think was a nice touch since they are so crucial to this process. We had a few extra kids come at the last minute but I was prepared with extra seats and not one of the kids that I had accounted for no showed! They were all ready, with shining smiles on their faces, they truly exuded joy. My mom came to watch which was really nice.

At first when I sat down at my post (right by the pulpit) and looked at all their faces all I could think about was how nervous I was and how I didn't want anything to go wrong. But then as the program started off and everyone settled into their parts, I started to feel the spirit. Then I remember one moment toward the end thinking "it's almost over! I don't want it to end!" and suddenly I was able to appreciate every last second of that beautiful program without any reservations. I was able to let the spirit in and touch my heart. I was so proud of every one of those kids as I watched them sing.

I loved that we did so many solos this year. Even Shayden had one and even though at the last minute he got nervous and didn't want to sing into the microphone but on the side holding my hand, it was okay. The kids knew their parts so well and said them with such conviction.
I la la loved it!

But I think the real miracle happened after the program. We had given the congregation little cards to write their thoughts for the kids on. Reading these cards was so powerful, the spirit really reached these people! Everyone seemed to have enjoyed it as much as I did.

We gave the teachers and the music people the day off after the program and I was so glad that my counselors supported me on this because it was hectic but so worth it. We just sang tons of songs, made cards for the music people and teachers, played hangman and watched a movie. I read some of the cards to the kids and they enjoyed that too.

It was a beautiful Sunday, one of the best I have had!


Then last Sunday at church I was commenting to one of the parents about how great her son is and she said to me that the program had really made an impression on him too. She said that the day of the program, her 10 year old son came home and announced that things needed to change in their home. That they needed to stop that very day doing all of the things that they were doing wrong. That he for one was going to go to church every Sunday from now one and not miss Primary ever! Wow, the tears just welled up in her eyes as she told us this and mine too. This is a pretty strong, active family in our ward that as of late has had some trials to face and struggled to make it church a little bit.

I love the impact that the simplicity of the gospel can have on these beautiful souls. They teach me more than I could ever teach them. I love primary!

1 had something to say!:

I have a good life said...

That is awesome! The primary programs always go off flawlessly, no matter how chaotic the practices. And, the spirit is especially strong with the faith of the young. Thanks for sharing. We also got to see the primary program in Spanish this year in Yoli's ward. The spirit was really powerful there, too, especially hearing all the songs in Spanish and feeling how wondeful it is that the gospel knows no boundaries!