Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Guatemala...The Final Chapter

The last full day in Guatemala was Friday and we left at 5:30am for a day trip to the eastern part of the country. Along the way we saw some amazing things and I was glued to my car window marveling at how drastically the scenery kept changing. First very green forest, then dry almost desert like (well as close to desert as a tropical country can get) and then lush, rainforest-esk. My favorite sight was during this jungle type area that I suddenly saw a monkey jump from one tree branch to another! And a closer look revealed a leash on him! Crazy, crazy stuff. We stopped and had some yummy liquados on the way which was on my list of foods. Our first stop was the town of Chiquimula, which is where my dad was born. We visited the grave of my great grandmother and it was nice to see it has been kept up very well.

My dad comes from a very poor background. He took us to the house where he lived, it was down this dirt alley. It just amazes me each time I hear his stories of poverty to think that he has been able to accomplish so much in his life and come so far. I love that legacy.















The next stop was a the town of Esquipulas. Now, this town is famous because it is here that resides the very famous Black Christ. People come from all over the world to see this. I had only been here once before. The temple that it is in is absolutely gorgeous and this picture was taken from an overlook above the city.


My parents told me some really cool stories of how people come here in the middle of January in throngs to worship at the feet of the Christ and they sometimes walk on their knees all the way from the bottom steps, and there are like a hundred, to pay penance for thier sins. My dad told me that twice in his childhood he walked all the way from Chiquimula to Esquipulas (the distance we had just driven all up hill practically) in a form of pilgrimage.

I loved hearing these stories and so many more.







Then we met my uncle and his wife and sister in law for lunch at their house in another town called Quetzaltepeque. This is the same uncle that we stayed with in the city, they live in both places part of the time. After lunch we visited the cementary where my dad's two siblings that past away are buried. Then they took us to another cute little town called Olopa way up so high that I thought our tiny little car would just give up and slide back down the mountain but it didn't, it pushed and pushed and made it all the way up!
I love this picture I took of a man walking in Quetzalteqeque. It is such a tribute to the hard working people in this impoverished country, each one just struggling to survive day in and day out. It was sights like this (and there were so many), that truly made me just say a silent prayer of gratitude and thanksgiving for what I have in my life. I am so blessed.
And long last our day was almost through, we just had the drive home left. I was so tired I wanted to sleep but truth be told I was worried that my dad would fall asleep so I chose to stay awake and talk to him. And now, documenting this, I realize how much I would have missed out on had I chosen to sleep. We talked about the story of how they came to the United States and why they did so, and I never ever tire of hearing this story. The way they sacrificed so much, the way they had the courage to leave what was familiar and comfortable for the unknown in a strange land with a strange language just to give thier kids (me!) a better life. What can I say? Tears well up every time.

And I was fortunate to capture our last sunset on Guatemala:

Then next day was Saturday, my mom and I got up early and packed all our bags, we were leaving a day and a half earlier than my dad.

I still had a couple of things left to buy so my parents were nice enough to drive me to the downtown Mercado Central to get them. Then from there we went to visit the home that my parents still own and rent out. And even though I never lived there, it is always cool to see. Here is the outside of it. In the city all homes have an outside wall on the perimeter of the property.


After that we went straight to the see the Guatemala City LDS Temple. Beautiful right?
This was something that I really wanted to do on our trip and I am so glad that we were able to sneak it in before our flight!




And now, as I see the whole picture of our trip, I see how fitting it was for us to go at the very start of our trip to the church where my parents met, were baptized, and were married civily, and end it here, the temple, which represents the success of the church in this region. You see, my parents were pioneers of the LDS church in a time when the closest temple to Guatemala was the Mesa, AZ Temple. (There were no temples in all of Mexico!) My parents indeed had something to do with the building of this Temple!






After that we got a bite to eat and a banana split at "Pops" and then off of the airport. It was really sad saying good bye to my dad and he said that it wouldn't be the same without us there.

From there we made it to LA and how fitting is it that the missionary that baptized my mom all those many years ago came and picked us up and we stayed with him and his wife that night! Then we flew home on Jetblue the next day. And that was the end of our wonderful trip.


Words can't describe the gratitude I feel toward my parents for giving me this once in a lifetime opportunity to learn so much about my heritage, to connect with the place of my birth, to grow closer to them than I ever thought possible. They are so important to me and the whole time I was with them I kept giving thanks that I get to live so close to them. I will forever be grateful to them for this gift and most of all for their sacrifices!

1 had something to say!:

Anonymous said...

Zildy,
It's been fun to read about your trip to the "homeland". What an amazing experience! We need to get up and see you guys again. Meg
and I love Ephraim but the drawback from not living near S.L. is it's tough to see good friends like you and Jonas. Thanks for sharing your Guatemala pics.

--Mike